Lyric video: music video that comes before the actual music video of a song, with the lyrics shown in a dynamic and original way, most times motion graphics and kinetic text animation style
That is our attempt at a definition for a Lyric video, a category of music videos that has been gaining weight for the past two years.
So much that at the end of 2010 we made a prediction that 2011 would be a year where most music artists would be putting them out. It has not happened in all its strength in that year, but recently it has. Proof of that is that almost half of the video in this post have been release just in the past two weeks!
Lyric Videos are a great way for artists to get some momentum going while the official music videos aren’t released. Sometimes, even before the album is released.
While some years ago, lyrics in a black screen or a album cover were put on screen, today a visually rich experience is starting to be the king.
So let’s start, shall we?
1. Certainly not the first video, but one to shine a big light into what Lyric videos turned out to be with its great motion graphics and musicality, was Cee-lo Green’s F#%K YOU.
Take a look:
2. Next, it was a matter of time before some others started to appear on the scene, some bringing a twist to it. like Maroon 5′s “Bring The Lyric Video Back In Animated Form With Payphone”
3. Or Jason Mraz’ “I Won’t Give Up”
4. Or even adding a live-action twist to it, like Gym Class Heroes’ “Stereo Hearts”:
5. Others though, kept the motion graphics style. Like David Guetta’s “Turn Me On”
6. Or Katy Perry’s “Wide Awake” (which some have thought of beeing a Facebook ad!):
The next 5 ones by major music stars have been out in the past two weeks alone – and believe be there are a lot more!
7. Yellowcard – Awakening
8. Owl City, Carly Rae Jepsen – Good Time
9. Little Mix – Wings
10. P!nk – Blow Me (One Last Kiss)
BONUS: Blur – Under The Westway
As you see, a lot of music artists are seeing the potential of Lyric Videos and betting heavy on it.
What is the best Lyric Video you have seen?